Police Department – FAQ

How do I apply for a position with the Police Department?

Applications for Police and Dispatch positions will be taken on a year round basis. Applications may be obtained at the Police Department or on their website here. Resumes are accepted on a year round basis and can be mailed to the “Training Sergeant” at 3701 NE 22 Ave, Lighthouse Point, Fl 33064.

Should I install a burglar alarm in my home?

Having an alarm system is a matter of personal choice. Some people consider an alarm to be a deterrent to would-be thieves. Others feel that the alarm gives them added security when they are home or away. Alarm systems vary in cost, depending on what type of detection system is employed. Some components are readily available at home improvement centers for “do it yourself” installation.

Many licensed alarm companies are listed in the phone book. We recommend that alarm buyers get at least two bids for the work, ask for references, and make sure there is training for everyone who will use the alarm.

False alarms are a waste of police resources. After three (3) false alarms you will be billed for police response. An alarm permit is needed and may be purchased at the Police Department.

What can I do about speeding vehicles on my street?

Contact the Police Department and inform the dispatcher that you have a traffic complaint. We will respond by:

Surveying the street using a traffic counter to evaluate the problem.
In most cases we will assign a digital display to inform the speeders of their actual speed.
Traffic enforcement with radar and citations will be assigned several hours per day.
A follow-up survey will be conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of our efforts.

Most of the traffic enforcement conducted by our officers is directly in response to specific complaints or traffic hazards. Unfortunately, our valued residents sometimes receive citations for the very traffic infractions that they have complained about. We realize that traffic citations are expensive and upsetting to most people. We have found, however, that they are an important part of our total enforcement concept. Be aware that these citations are not revenue producing for the City. Very little of this money goes directly to the City of Lighthouse Point.

If you do receive a citation that you think is unfair, refer to the back of the citation for directions as to how to challenge the citation in court.

How do I pay or contest a traffic citation?

You can pay or contest citations at the Broward County Clerk of Courts. You can get further information about your options by clicking Clerk of Courts.

How do I pay or contest a parking citation?

You can mail in or drop off payment of a parking citation to the Police Department at 3701 NE 22 Ave, Lighthouse Point, FL 33064. You may also contest a parking citation by bringing the citation along with vehicle in question (for Commercial Vehicle Violations) to the Police Department during business hours (8am – 4pm) Monday – Friday. You will need to speak to Commander Marchitello or the Road Patrol Sergeant on duty.

How can I pick up my vehicle if it has been towed?

To get a vehicle out of impound, the registered owner of the vehicle must come to the Police Department at 3701 NE 22 Ave.

The following documents must be brought to the police department to receive a vehicle release from the Stationhouse Officer at the front desk.

Driver’s License
Registration for the vehicle
After the Stationhouse Officer has checked all documents, you will be required to sign a vehicle release form. This form contains general information about you and your vehicle.

The Lighthouse Point Police Department contracts with Lighthouse Auto to impound vehicles at the request of police. You will be given a Tow sheet which contains directions to Lighthouse Auto and general fees. All fees are set by Lighthouse Auto and are payable to same.

If a registered owner would like someone other than themself to pick up a vehicle, he/she will need to complete a letter stating who will be given power of attorney to do so. The letter must identify the person being given permission to obtain the vehicle, description of the vehicle, and must be formally witnessed by a notary.

If you parked your vehicle on private property and the vehicle is towed by the owner of the property; look in the area where you parked the vehicle for a tow-away sign. If you locate a sign it should tell you the towing company’s name and telephone number. If you cannot locate this information, you can contact the Lighthouse Point Police Department at (954) 942-8080. The call taker should be able to assist you with locating your vehicle. When your vehicle is towed in this manner it is not a police matter, it is a civil matter, and the fees are assessed by the company that towed your vehicle.

How do I get my property back from the Department?

If your property was collected and has not been submitted as evidence, you may call our office and set up an appointment with the Chief Property Clerk to obtain your property. A valid picture identification, such as a driver’s license or ID card, that shows a current address and your date of birth, will need to be presented at the time you retrieve your property. If your property has been submitted as evidence, it can only be released with permission from the detective or state attorney handling the case. Once authorization for release has been obtained, you may call and set up an appointment as listed above.

If you are unable to claim your property yourself, you may authorize a family member/friend to pick it up for you. They must present a formal notarized letter from you, giving them permission to do so. They must present a valid picture identification, such as a driver’s license or ID card, that shows a current address and date of birth when they come to claim your property.

What should I do about a noise complaint?

Contact the Lighthouse Point Police Department at (954) 942-8080 and give the call taker the location where the noise is coming from and what type of noise it is. An officer will respond and determine if the noise violates current city noise ordinance provision. If a violation is verified, the offender may be warned or cited, depending on how many times the site is visited and a voilation observed within the time frame specified by City Ordinance. The complainant does not need to agree to be contacted by the responding officer during the investigation of the noise complaint.

Should I call 911 or the non-emergency number (954-942-8080)
when I need the Police?

Please call 911 only when you have a bona fide emergency or when you have no way of obtaining our phone number (example: when you are in your car calling from a cellular phone). Otherwise, please keep our number near your phone for other times when you need to contact the police. Be aware that occasionally there is only one person manning our phones and dispatching fire and police calls. Calls must be prioritized depending upon what is occurring in the city. We apologize if you are put on hold.

Try not to call the Police Department if there is an interruption in your electric or other utilities. The Police Department is inundated with calls during these times and may not able to tell you when FPL will restore your service.

How do I send a ‘thank you’ to a Lighthouse Point member?

The Lighthouse Point Police Department recognizes good work accomplished by members of the Agency. Citizens are encouraged to write or call in and formally recognize commendable acts by police personnel that go above and beyond the call of duty. If you would like to thank or recommend a Department member for a commendation, you may call the Police Department at (954) 942-8080 or send a letter to the Chief of Police.

How can I get my fingerprints done?

Fingerprinting is conducted at the Police Department on Tuesday and Thursday between the hours of 2:00pm – 4:30pm and on Wednesday between the hours of 9:00am – 11:00am. There is a ten (10) dollar charge for residents and local businesses; a twenty (20) dollar charge will apply to everyone else. You must bring your print cards and photo identification.

How do I file a complaint or concern about a Department member?

If you feel a Lighthouse Point Police Department member acted improperly, a complaint may be made in writing, in person, or by telephone. Citizens should contact the on-duty Police Department Supervisor at the address or phone number listed below regarding the allegations of misconduct.

An Internal Affairs Complaint Form will be completed and forwarded to the Internal Affairs Professional Standards Commander and Chief of Police for review. A preliminary investigation will then be conducted to determine if the complaint has merit. If merit exists, the investigation will be expanded. Citizens will be kept informed regarding the status of their complaint.

Complaints may be made at:

Lighthouse point Police Department
3701 N.E. 22nd Avenue
Lighthouse Point, Florida 33064
(954) 942-8080

CAUTION: We take allegations of employee misconduct seriously. Consequently, if the investigation reveals the complaint was made maliciously, in bad faith, or with knowledge that the accusation was false, action shall be taken, whenever possible, to prosecute the complainant for making a false report.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

You may come to the Police Department and request a copy of the report. You may also request a copy by mail. When requesting by mail include the following information:

Type of Report (Example: Burglary, Accident, etc.)
Case Number (if known)
Name of Complainant/Driver
Address of Occurrence
Requested by:
Copy will be picked up? Yes_____ No_____
Mail to:________________________________
All Reports:
15 cents per page for single sided pages.
20 cents per page for double sided pages.
Mailing $ .44
Reports are free to victims of a crime.